Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sweet Potato & Sausage Soup

Two things make me want soup, cold weather and colds. Since we are in Florida and it's September, you know it's not cold here so that leaves one thing... yep, I'm sick, as is my son, Moose, and the hubby (he was the carrier of the germs...)

As a child (and to be honest, many times as an adult) when I got sick, my mama made me potato soup. I don't want chicken noodle, I want potato soup when I'm sick.

Last night I made a new variation of my mama's potato soup (mainly because I was very low on white potatoes). I made a Sweet Potato & Sausage soup and it was delicious! So good, in fact, that I felt like I had to share! I am not usually one to repeat a recipe to the tea, so vary these ingredients to your taste. I don't think I have ever made a recipe the same way twice, it all depends on my mood.

Sweet Potato & Sausage Soup


  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 Package of Chicken Sausage, sliced into medallions
    (I used the Al Fresco Chicken Sausage that I got on sale a few weeks ago)
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 3-4 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 average sized sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
  • 4 or 5 small white potatoes, peeled & cubed
  • 1 small pool ball squash, peeled and cubed (zucchini would work)
  • 6 cups low-salt chicken broth
  • 3/4 cups milk
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Garlic Powder to taste

  • In a deep pot, put the olive oil and the chicken sausage and saute until browned. Remove the sausage and add the onions & garlic and saute until translucent. Add all of the potatoes and saute until the potatoes start to brown. Add the squash, chicken broth, milk, chicken sausage, salt, pepper and garlic. Cook until the potatoes are tender and use a potato masher to break up the cubes. Let the soup boil until it gets to be the thickness you desire.

    Serve hot and enjoy!

    Happy cooking!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment